Favourite Love Songs
Whether you love it or hate it, Valentine’s Day is here again and market research firm Harris Interactive have conducted a poll to see which tracks get people in that loving mood!
Perhaps unsurprisingly, Whitney Houston is at the top of the poll with the Dolly Parton written ‘I Will Always Love You’. Featured in her film ‘The Bodyguard’ in 1992 (pictured below), the track received 38% of the vote and is clearly as popular now as when it reached number 1 in 13 countries upon its release. On a related but unromantic note, the song topped several subcategories within the research including divorced, separated and widowed.
If anyone has seen ‘Ghost’ then it will be clear why this song is number two! ‘Unchained Melody’, the most popular version, was by The Righteous Brothers, reaching number 14 in the UK prior to the film’s release, and number 1 afterwards in 1990. The track has become one of the most recorded songs of the 20th century, by some estimates having created over 500 versions in hundreds of different languages
The Top Ten Romantic Songs:
1. I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston
2. Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers
3. When a Man Loves a Woman - Percy Sledge
4. You Are So Beautiful - Joe Cocker
5. How Deep is Your Love - Bee Gees
6. I Don't Want to Miss a Thing - Aerosmith
7. Crazy - Patsy Cline
8. I Want to Know What Love Is - Foreigner
9. (Everything I Do) I Do It For You - Bryan Adams
10. Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye
Published: 14 February 2013